Open Government Hack Night (Organized by Open City)
Come join a the group of passionate open government members. This evening will be a night of civic and technology related hacking.
- This an event for those who want to:
- start a new opengov project
- get help with an existing opengov project
- find an opengov project to join
- bounce some ideas off of others
- learn more about civic hacking in general
Food will be provided.
This week, Open City members Chad W Pry and Derek Eder will be giving a workshop on mapping and Google Fusion Tables. The workshop will demonstrate, by leveraging an example template and freely available hosting, how to create a website with your custom data. The tools necessary and outline for the workshop are listed.
This workshop is meant for data domain experts as well as technology experts
Items necessary for Workshop
- Your computer
- Google account (docs.google.com)
- Your Google spreadsheet of data (must include latitude/longitude, address, or KML column)
Learn more by viewing these demonstration links (example in action!)
- Data: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvRc2S38-ivRdDdKUFYwNEY3X09CRWhnUU5WYURtdkE
- Site: http://fusion-data-template.heroku.com/
- Code: https://github.com/chadwpry/site-template
Outline for Workshop
- Create fusion table from spreadsheet of data
- Create your own template from example template (copy)
- Add fusion table reference to your template
- Put your template online
As always, this event is meant to help promote the Open Government movement in Chicago. Its goals are to educate and produce people and tools that connect domain and technology experts with people willing and motivated to learn.
We just want to make sure you are human. You should only have to see this once. Once we verify your humanity, we're good!